Thursday, October 30, 2008

How Many "Sidneys" do we have?


I remember my past like it was yesterday. I know my past does not have or need to determine my present or future. But there are so many days that the memories of my past chase me down and it seems like I am living everything all over again. Memories like when I was forced to pour paint thinner on a lady on the streets, days when food seemed like a dream far away or maybe when I had to run from the police that wanted to beat me up. It is so funny how we can forget our past. I have seen so many people that grew up in very humble circumstances and now that they have something they are so snobby and prideful. I don’t want ever to forget where God has rescued me from. I was a hopeless case in the eyes of the government, churches, people and family. But God loved me when I didn’t love myself and he cared about me when I didn’t even care about myself. That is why I love God above everything else.

But we can’t forget that there are still many and many Sidney in the world today that are lost and without hope. There are so many people just shining the benches of churches today instead of going to those people that are crying desperately for help and they are not getting it. Did you know that It is estimated that the numbers of Brazilian street children vary from 200,000 to 8 million. In one recent survey in São Paulo, 609 children were found to be sleeping on the streets. At least 50 were under 12 and unaccompanied by adult relations. The main means of surviving on Brazil's streets are: finding food in rubbish bins or on refuse tips; being financially exploited by street sellers or as shoe shiners; stealing; prostitution; drug running and drug taking. Street children are known to receive beatings from the police or members of the public and also can face imprisonment, malnutrition, disease and AIDS.

We need to be people that make a difference in this world. I am fully convinced that we are called to be the church without walls because maybe we will be the only Jesus or Bible people will see or read. We need to cry for the things that make Jesus cry, we need to hate the things that God hates, we need to hurt with the things that hurt the heart of God and of course we need to love the things that God loves. God loves the poor, widow, prostitutes, outcasts, forgotten, rejected, abandoned, heroin addicted and you!!!

No comments: